Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My name is Chip Roberts.  I pride myself on my innate ability to connect one seemingly normal topic to a completely obscure and oftentimes irrelevant reference to some example of popular culture.  I'm an entertainer.  Before I was an entertainer I was a musician, and before I was a musician, I was a gamer.  Before that, well, we don't talk about those times...JK, I was the most popular kid at my high school, high five!
I know more about the eighties than most people who were alive during the decade.

Exhibit A: David Hasselhoff's 1989 album, featuring ex-KISS and White Tiger guitarist, Mark St. John.  Mark St. John, who is no longer with us, played lead guitar on Animalize, but was unable to tour due to his arthiritis.


When we look back in time at the Berlin Wall falling, marking the end of Communism (or something like that) in 1989, we remember it as one of the defining moments late in the 20th century.  It changed the history of Germany and Russia, and who sang when it came down?  Hasselhoff.  It was a different time in America, a different time in the world.  Some things are better left unsaid.

Miley Cyrus was Hannah Montanna, and then she became Miley Cyrus, the pop singer.  People have often questioned why TV actors "nowadays" will decide to do music, but this has been a common occurence for decades.  Remember Lindsay Lohan's first album, Speak?  Didn't think so.  What about Eddie Murphy's first album?  Featuring Rick James on backing vocals! #robtroid #metroidmonth #glam

No comments:

Post a Comment